Admission to the 7-Year Resident Company
New Dramatists has decided to suspend admissions for the 2021-2022 cycle and extend the residencies of all 59 current residents for another year. With a complex and multi-pronged reopening plan ahead of us, and without a firm reopening date, we decided that this was the best way to maximize our resources in support of our current resident company of playwrights. Please find our full announcement here. Check this page for updates in the spring of 2022.
We offer our resident playwrights an artistic home and self-guided laboratory for seven years, free of charge, in the company of gifted peers. Since its founding in 1949 by Michaela O'Harra, a largely unknown female playwright, New Dramatists has operated on the maxim that ALL artists of outstanding artistic merit deserved to be heard. Our playwright company consists of emerging and mid-career writers collectively embodying the artistic, cultural, ethnic, and geographic diversity of the American theatre. We accept applications online during a submissions window each summer.
- Any U.S. citizen may apply with two full-length plays, a resume, and a statement of interest.
- The seven-person admissions panel changes completely every year.
- Staff facilitate the process but do not participate in any way in admissions decisions.
- First round reviews are conducted blindly (playwrights’ names are not disclosed).
- Over the 9-month circulation period, each panelist reads between 160-180 plays.
- All decisions are made by consensus.