Admission to the 7-Year Resident Company
We offer our resident playwrights an artistic home and self-guided laboratory for seven years, free of charge, in the company of gifted peers. Since its founding in 1949 by Michaela O'Harra, a largely unknown female playwright, New Dramatists has operated on the maxim that ALL artists of outstanding artistic merit deserved to be heard. Our playwright company consists of emerging and mid-career writers collectively embodying the artistic, cultural, ethnic, and geographic diversity of the American theatre. We accept applications online during a submissions window each summer.
- Any U.S. citizen may apply with two full-length plays, a resume, and a statement of interest.
- The seven-person admissions panel changes completely every year.
- Staff facilitate the process but do not participate in any way in admissions decisions.
- First round reviews are conducted blindly (playwrights’ names are not disclosed).
- Over the 9-month circulation period, each panelist reads between 160-180 plays.
- All decisions are made by consensus.