What is New Dramatists?
To provide playwrights with time, space and resources in the company of gifted peers to create work, realize their artistic potential, and make lasting contributions to the theatre.
- Sustained Support: a seven-year commitment to the artistry and body of work of each resident playwright.
- Peer Community: the challenge and inspiration of a continuous community of playwrights — each with the same seven-year residency — about 50 at a time, more than 600 since our founding.
- Creative Authority: each writer leads his or her own years here, selecting what to work on when, choosing collaborators, setting timetables, and designing process. Work at ND is literally writer-led in order to fully empower them artistically and professionally.
- Artistic Home: a building that includes two theaters, a classroom, a manuscript library of our resident playwright and alumni work, a private writing studio, and residence rooms for out-of-town writers.
The Playwrights Lab
Each resident playwright at New Dramatists becomes the artistic director of his or her own seven-year long new play laboratory. Our writers program over 125 events in the building, collaborate with more than 500 artists, and attract a public audience of 4,000 visitors every year.
New Dramatists staff works with writers individually to make sure they have the casting, stage management, directorial, and dramaturgical resources they need to generate, test, and realize their ideas.Learn More >>
New Dramatists seeks to connect writers with one another and the field, so that they may better navigate the difficult journey of a career in the theater. Our dedicated artistic programs staff provides visibility for our writers and their work through several channels. We offer:
- Playwrights Network
- New Play Placement
- Library & Catalog
- Grants, Awards & Exchanges