Princess Grace Awards Playwriting Fellowship
We encourage emerging playwrights to apply at the beginning of their careers so that through the New Dramatists Fellowship, they can develop their work as well as benefit from being a part of a unique, diverse, dynamic community of professional playwrights. An applicant’s status as an emerging playwright is evaluated during the adjudication process.
One playwright will be selected to receive:
• A grant in the amount of $7,500
• A one-season (September – June) artistic residency at New Dramatists, Inc. in New York City (For Award recipients living outside of the New York metro area, your on-site residency can be adapted according to your schedule with reimbursement provided for transportation costs to/from New York)
• Inclusion of your script in New Dramatists’ library
• Advocacy for the recipient and their script to New York and National theatre communities for the duration of the fellowship
• Mentorship from a New Dramatists resident playwright for the duration of the fellowship
• Opportunity for winning play to be licensed and published by Samuel French, Inc.
• All candidates must be United States citizens or have permanent resident status.
• Eligible playwrights must not have had any professional full-length productions other than those using the showcase code or in an off-off-Broadway theater with 99 or fewer seats.
(If your show used a higher contract tier than the showcase code, you are not eligible to apply. If your show received a festival production in a theater with more than 99 seats and did not use an Equity contract, you are eligible to apply.)
Development opportunities such as readings and workshops are admissible.
You must submit one unpublished, full-length play (A full-length play is a single play that constitutes a full evening of theater. For example, a 90-minute intermissionless play is a full-length play.)
• There is no restriction on subject matter
• Story, language, and characters must be original; no adaptations.
• May not have received a professional production as defined above
Submission Window: March 1-March 31, 2016 6PM EDT
To begin your application, click on the “Begin Application” button below. You will be asked to create a username and enter your email address. Once you have clicked “Submit,” you will receive an email with instructions on how to log in. From this point forward, you will be guided through a simple process collecting all of your admissions materials in seven easy steps:
1. Log in. You will be asked to confirm you are a US Citizen, or permanent resident.
2. Fill in your full name, address, and phone number.
3. Upload your playwriting resume.
4. Upload one full-length work (play or book of a musical) (The following files may be used: txt, pdf, doc, docx, rtf).
5. Upload your personal statement.
6. Should you wish to submit a letter of recommendation, enter the name and email of your reference. An email containing a link to upload their letter of recommendation will be sent directly to them.
7. Review your application, and click “Submit Your Application” to complete the process. You will receive an email confirming your application has been received.
You may save your application at any point and return to it later before submitting. Once the application window closes at 6:00 (EDT) p.m. on March 31, you may not alter your application in any way.
If you have any questions, please email us.
• Online application
• Playwriting resume listing short, one-act and full-length plays written including reading, workshop and production history with performance venues and dates.
• One unpublished full-length play
• Personal statement: Please describe, in your own words, your views and expectations of your role as a theater artist now and in the future. Please elaborate on your “emerging status” and how you plan to utilize this fellowship.
Applicants are also encouraged to submit a letter of recommendation from a theater professional (director, dramaturg, etc.) addressing how the applicant has demonstrated his/her excellence in the field; promise as an outstanding emerging artist; and why he/she is deserving of a Princess Grace Award. The deadline for the letter of recommendation is May 30, 6PM EDT.
Princess Grace Foundation–USA playwriting applications are submitted digitally through a module on New Dramatists' website
Applications will be accepted March 1-March 31 6PM EDT
NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE WINDOW CLOSES.